Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Post #6: Reflection on Teamwork and Communication Process

Wow, time has flown and we are at the end of the semester. I had initially started the semester thinking that CG1413 is going to be another boring and useless module, but I’ve been forced to revise my mindset.

The first few weeks of the semester was basically about the fundamentals of effective communication and teamwork. What I find most useful are the 7C’s, active listening and conflict management. These are skills that I will continue to use even after completing this module. For example, the utilizing the 7C’s would help me to write better, no matter if it’s it simple emails or long reports.

The second half of the course involved putting all these ideas that have been taught into use. We did loads of things twice; Meeting 1, Meeting 2, Oral Presentation 1, Oral Presentation 2. After going through each hurdle, we watched a video of what we did (Well, for all except one. :) ), and then did a reflection. Repeatedly, practicing something and then reflecting on it seems to be a rather good strategy for improvement. We learn from our previous mistakes and then do the meeting or presentation again. I feel that this really makes sure that we do not commit the same mistake twice.

I’ve also realised some of my strengths and weaknesses after going through all the hurdles in this course. I’m good in setting a direction for the project. I’m usually able to suggest a method to tackle the CG1102 problems that is agreeable with everyone. However, I’m not as good when it comes to presentation in front of audiences. I think I’ve improved on this weakness somewhat, but I still need a lot more practice before I can become a truly outstanding speaker.

CG1413 has also taught me a lot about teamwork. Throughout this module, we were always working in groups. We had plenty of opportunities to put what we have learnt in the first part of the module into play. For example, our CG1413 project group was made up of people from very different cultures. We had several problems, such as language barriers and employed various techniques such as active listening to get around them.

To conclude, I’ve really enjoyed this module. I’ve really learnt a lot of useful skills that will help me in future: presentation skills to present my work to others, and various techniques to work well together and to communicate effectively, so as to prevent things like this:

from happening. Good luck to everyone for their final exams!

4 comments:

  1. Dear Russell,

    I first thought CG1413 was a blogging module where you only need to blog every week. But I was relieved that we had more exciting things than simply blogging.

    Like you, I also found the 7C useful especially during my oral defence(read my blog for more info). I answered the invigilators questions concisely and they didn't ask/prompt me more.

    Doing things twice will generally improve things. Back in my secondary school, if I fail a test, they will purposely make us sit for the EXACT same test again. And generally, I'll pass the second time. The concept is similar to what this module use. Identify your mistake. Don't do it next time. How I wish we could sit for our exams twice(with similar papers).

    There's one thing I would like to add about your presentation skills. You were quite clear and soft on audience's ears but you just lack the energy and spirit. You'll just need to look for some creative ways to lift the atmosphere and you'll be a good presenter.

    Good luck for your exams and I look forward to work with you again in our upcoming years together.

    Regards,
    Eno

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Russell,

    I started my semester with the same thinking as yours which is CG1413 must be very boring. And now, I have to tell the truth that not only do I find this module interesting but also very useful. It teachs about teamwork and how to become a good communicator which I think very important to everyone of us.

    Whoever master teamwork and effective communication must be sought after in the job market.However, the most valuable thing that I gained from this course is not any single skill but my self-confidence. A part from that,I also learned about the 7C's, conflicts resolutions , reflections. They help me to write better, to build stronger relationships and also to improve myself. As you point out, the reason why we did almost every thing twice is to help us avoid the same mistake. There is always room for improvement if we know how to reflect on what we have done.

    I only worked with you in one project and in the future, I hope that we could collaborate more so that I can continue learning from you. The last think I want to say is good luck for your exams.

    Cheers,
    Dam Tuan Long

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Russell,

    Indeed, we all have learnt a lot from this module. To my surprise, besides all these communication and teamwork skills, we are also learning other useful skills such us doing reflections at the same time. Such skills can be used in our studies, work and life. For example, as you have said, reflect-and-repeat is a very good strategy for improvement at any time and can help us to identify our strengths and weaknesses. These skills will actually benefit us lifelong.

    To me, writing has always been my headache. But by applying the 7Cs into my writing, I find that writing has somehow become easier. I think it is probably because that the 7Cs set up certain guidelines for writing so that I can be clearer about what I should write and how to write it.

    All in all, I think CG1413 has helped me a lot so far.

    Also, I’m so glad to be able to work with you in the same team and I’m looking forwards to working with you next time.

    Regards,
    Shiyan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Russell,

    I'm surprised to see that so many of you initially thought that this module is going to be boring! I was always excited about it. A multi-cultural setting where you are made to work with people you don't know, teaches you a lot.

    There is this quality in you, Russell, that you have a very good first impression on people. You are an amiable, friendly, and happy-go-lucky but sincere person. In our CELC group, you were the first person I became comfortable in talking to, and I think many of us would also have felt so. You are very approachable and accommodating. You can be a good team leader as your team members would be comfortable being led by you.
    You can also use this quality of yours in making friends, contacts and in networking, and this would give you a lot of benefit in future.

    As for your presentation skills, I agree that you can improve a lot when it comes to audience engagement. Remember that while you are there on that stage, the audience is all yours and you are all audience’s. You cannot afford to even lose contact with the audience (not just eye-contact, but the link that exists between you and audience) even for a moment, or you risk losing their interest. As I mentioned earlier, I feel that you need to ensure that this link is continuously maintained. So, don’t look to the side or elsewhere even for a while. Do not let the audience know that you are trying to remember your script while you are talking to them. Pretend that you need their full attention. Make them feel guilty if they try to stray from listening to you using your body language.

    Ferrino is a classic example here. He makes sure that the audience is with him every moment. If they are not, he would raise his eyebrows, he would momentarily speak louder. He would give a pause to give a dramatic effect. I think we all need to learn from him.

    It was a joy working with you for the module. All the best for the exams.
    Anuj

    ReplyDelete